Tuesday 10 January 2012

Super Pet Silent Spinner Wheel


After about a year without a hamster I finally decided to get another one over Christmas. My last hamster had a green Silent Spinner which was perfectly silent until she broke it, so I decided that I would get another one for my new hamster. I decided that this hamster should have purple cage accessories (my last hamster had green accessories) and I just happened to find a purple Silent Spinner at Petsmart. I keep my hamster in my room so a quiet wheel is a must!

The Super Pet Silent Spinner (I have the regular size) is described as "the wonderful, whisper quiet workout wheel for hamsters, mice, and gerbils. Patented ball bearing technology makes these wheels super silent. Silent Spinners work two ways: free standing or attach directly to any wire cage. High quality plastic running surface is safe and comfortable for your furry friend's feet.

  • Specially designed for quiet spinning
  • Encourage healthy exercise
  • 6.5" diameter wheel is ideal for hamsters, mice, gerbils, or other small animals
  • Available in assorted colors, blue, purple, red, and green."
 
This wheel is better for your small pet's feet than traditional wheels because it is a solid construction so feet and tails cannot get caught and injured.

I should let you know that my hamster lives in a 20 gallon aquarium with a 1-1/2 story Martins Cages aquarium topper. Sadly, the cage attachment for the wheel was too large to fit through the bars of my aquarium topper so I left the wheel on the wire base and put it in the bottom of the aquarium. The first night wasn't too bad since she spent most of the time exploring her new habitat, but the second night was horrendous! My hamster decided to try out her wheel and I spent hours listening to this loud bumping noise that was coming from the wheel, until I finally just took the wheel out of the aquarium.

I checked the wheel out the next morning and when I spun it it was still whisper quiet so I decided that it must base. I taped the base to the bottom of the aquarium (duct tape can solve anything!) and left it for my hamster to try out. That night I could barely hear her on the wheel, there was a tiny whirring sound but nothing that I couldn't sleep through.

This is definitely something I would recommend for a small animal. The only down side I can find is that it can break easily and also the 6.5" size of the regular can be too small for larger hamsters (my hamster is a tiny, dainty girl), but the 12" size is much too large for a hamster. It would be better if they had something in between.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Pineapple Screwdriver. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by WP Themes Master | Price of Silver