Thursday 30 August 2012

Miracle Noodles/ Miracle Rice (Shirataki Noodles)

I had heard about Miracle Noodles through many HCG forums and was looking for something to buff up my meals so I decided to give them a try.  The three types that I use are Fettuccine, Angel Hair and Rice.

Miracle Noodles (also known as Shirataki Noodles) are thin, translucent traditional Japanese noodles that are very low carb and low calorie. They are made from the konjac yam and are largely composed of water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber. They have no taste on their own but will absorb the flavors of whatever they are prepared with. On the HCG diet they are considered a "free food" and can be eaten at any time.

The packages that I buy come from The Low Carb Grocery   but you can also find them at many Asian supermarkets. The noodles are generally packaged in a liquid. To prepare I generally rinse the noodles well (if they are packaged in a liquid they may have a fishy smell when the bag is opened) and dry roast them is a pan to dry them out a little before adding them to my other ingredients.

Miracle Noodles - Angel Hair


The Angel Hair variety are my favorite type of Miracle Noodle. They remind me a lot of Cellophane/Glass noodles. They are great for making stir fry's with vegetables and a little bit of soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos and I also use them to make a great low cal Pad Thai.

Miracle Rice
Miracle Rice is made from the same ingredients as Miracle Noodles. They are cut into smaller "rice" shaped pieces but remind me more of barley. Miracle Rice can be prepared the same way as Miracle Noodles and will absorb the flavors of the dishes that it is added to.

Miracle Noodles - Fettuccine


These are my least favorite of the 3 types that I have tried. They are very good if dry roasted and served with minimal liquid/sauce. I found that I really didn't like the texture if too much sauce was added, they became very slippery, almost slimy.

These are definitely a product that I will be buying again. I have bought them a few different times and really enjoy having different meal options besides just meat and veggies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Pineapple Screwdriver. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by WP Themes Master | Price of Silver